Common Household Items That Are Toxic to Pets

As pet parents, we go to great lengths to provide a safe and loving home for our furry friends. Yet, our households harbor hidden dangers that could harm our pets. This blog post sheds light on some everyday items that many don’t realize can be toxic to pets. Plus, we will share actionable tips to protect your four-legged companions from these common household hazards. 

Certain Houseplants

While greenery adds life to your home, plants like lilies, sago palms, and tulips are toxic to pets. Ingesting even a small amount can be dangerous, especially for cats and dogs. Know the plants in your home and their risks, and try to opt for pet-friendly greenery.


Swallowed batteries can lead to ulcers in the mouth, esophagus, and stomach, as well as potential mercury or acid poisoning. Remember to dispose of old batteries properly and keep new batteries tucked away in drawers.

Human Foods

Some foods that are healthy for humans can be perilous for pets. Chocolate, grapes, and xylitol (found in sugar-free products) can cause severe health issues in animals. Additionally, many pet owners question whether their canine friends can eat foods that are not commonly known to be dangerous. For instance, while some fruits can be healthy for dogs, it is worth researching specific types such as “can dogs eat plums safely” without adverse effects. Do not feed pets human treats and try to keep potentially dangerous foods out of reach.

Rodenticides and Insecticides

Pest control products are designed to kill, and they can be just as lethal to your pets. Exposure to these poisons can be fatal without prompt treatment. Choose pet-friendly pest control solutions and store these products in inaccessible areas.

Essential Oils and Diffusers

Eucalyptus, tea tree, and other concentrated oils can be toxic to pets, particularly cats. Diffusers can also spread these oils in the air, which animals can then absorb or ingest. Avoid using potent essential oils around pets and always ensure proper ventilation if using diffusers.

Human Medications

Pills and capsules left unattended can be tempting for pets to chew on. Over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen can cause serious harm, potentially leading to ulcers or kidney failure. Keep medications in cabinets out of reach. Never self-prescribe human medication for pets.

Fertilizers and Garden Products

Products used in gardens and lawns can contain ingredients like blood meal, which can be tempting and harmful to pets. Ingestion can lead to pancreatitis or other digestive issues. Store garden supplies securely and keep pets indoors when applying these products.


Antifreeze with ethylene glycol is sweet-tasting, but it’s deadly for animals. A tiny amount can cause rapid kidney failure and death in pets. Clean up spills immediately and consider using pet-safe antifreeze products.

Household Cleaners

Many cleaning agents contain chemicals that are harmful to animals. Ingestion or inhalation can lead to a range of symptoms from nausea to respiratory problems. Use pet-safe cleaners or natural alternatives. Store chemicals securely after use.


Even small amounts of alcohol can be toxic to pets, with effects ranging from vomiting to depression or even coma. Never leave drinks unattended where pets can reach them and immediately clean any spills.

Keeping Up With Recalls and Safety Alerts

Product recalls and safety alerts are issued when a product is found to be potentially harmful. Staying informed can help you react quickly to remove dangerous items before they affect your pet. Try to monitor pet product recall information. You can sign up for alerts from organizations like the FDA or your local animal protection agency.

The Importance of Pet First Aid Knowledge

Accidents can happen despite all precautions, making it important for pet owners to have a basic understanding of pet first aid. Being prepared to handle a range of emergencies can make a significant difference in the outcome of an accident. Consider taking a pet first aid course and keep a pet-specific first aid kit readily available.

Additional Safety Measures

While the items listed above are some of the most common dangers, it’s essential to routinely inspect your home for other potential risks. Small objects like coins, rubber bands, or buttons can pose choking hazards or cause intestinal blockages if ingested. Regularly sweep and check areas where your pets spend time. Immediately dispose of potential choking hazards, keeping floors and surfaces clear.


Pet owners must remain vigilant about the hidden dangers present in common household items. By following the safety tips mentioned above, you can help ensure your home is not just a comfortable place for your pets, but a safe one too. Vigilance and preventive measures can significantly reduce the risk of pet poisoning. Remember, if you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic substance, contact your veterinarian or an animal poison control center immediately.

You may also like...