It can be both thrilling and intimidating to move to a new house. On the one hand, you are excited about a fresh start, a new home, and opportunities awaiting you. On the other side, you have to go through the effort of packing your belongings, moving them to your new location, and then unpacking them. When you have a lot of things to move, the process can be stressful.
Using a storage unit is one way to deal with this issue. According to research in the US, 49,233 self-storage facilities were operating in 2021, providing individuals and organizations with various storage alternatives. A storage unit offers a convenient place to temporarily store your things while moving.
This article will explore why you should use a storage unit when moving to a new place.
1. Help with Decluttering
Once you make a list of packing stuff for your move, you may come across many extra items in your home that you don’t need to use. For instance, you may have many holiday décor items or old keepsakes you don’t want to throw away or give away. You can pack all such things and keep them in a long-term or short-term storage unit. It will help you clean up the clutter. You can even avail the mini storage service that many storage facilities offer to address the need of various clients. It is particularly useful when you are troubled by too much clutter in your home and need extra space to store them.
Depending on when you need to move, you can rent a unit for an extended or short period. If required, you can keep your belongings for just a few days or several weeks while you finish your relocation. You can lengthen the rental duration if you need to keep your belongings in storage for longer.
2. Safe and Secure Storage
Storage units are secure places to keep your belongings. Here’s how:
- Surveillance cameras are decisively positioned throughout the facility to monitor things and discourage robbery. It implies there will be evidence of any attempted break-ins, making it possible to find the perpetrators and hold them responsible.
- Most storage facilities include a gated entry accessible by authorized people only. It means that the building and storage areas are only accessible to authorized people. It reduces the possibility of burglary by preventing unauthorized access to your items.
- Some facilities have set up individual alarms in units to warn you and storage facility employees if someone tries to break in. It means that if someone does try to steal your belongings, you will be alerted immediately, allowing you to take action.
- Staff are trained to monitor the property and identify potential security risks. They can also assist in the event of an emergency or security concern, ensuring that your belongings are protected at all times.
By renting a storage unit, you have the space to sort through your belongings and organize them efficiently. You can group similar items, such as kitchen appliances or clothes, and store them in separate boxes or containers. It makes it easier to find what you need when you need it, especially if you label your boxes and keep an inventory of your items before keeping them in a storage unit. With a list, you can keep track of everything you’ve stored and ensure that nothing gets lost or left behind during the move.
You can save money by renting a storage facility, for instance:
- You can avoid the need for a more expensive, larger moving truck. It is because larger trucks cost extra to rent and consume more gasoline. Additionally, a big truck with several boxes to load might necessitate more labor, which could raise the overall cost of the move. You can rent a smaller, more affordable, easier-to-maneuver truck by keeping most of your items in a storage unit.
- Several storage service providers offer exclusive discounts and promotions for new clients or those who rent for long periods. You can save money by taking advantage of these incentives. Some providers even offer discounts for older people, active-duty military, and students, which further decreases the rental price of a storage unit.
- During a transfer, fragile items might easily get damaged. Keeping them in storage space during the move will help you save them from breakage or damage. It can help you save money on repair or replacement charges.
5. Peace of Mind
By storing your belongings in a storage unit, you can have peace of mind knowing that your belongings are kept in one place. So you don’t have to worry about them being dispersed around other spaces, and you can quickly retrieve them when required.
Furthermore, putting your belongings in a storage unit helps you to concentrate on other aspects of the relocation. You may focus on packing, organizing, and unpacking rather than worrying about the security and privacy of your belongings.
Furthermore, a storage facility can provide you peace of mind if your new home is insecure. A storage unit can serve as a temporary home for your possessions if there is a time interval between when you want to leave your current residence and when you can move into a new one. As you look for your new home or till you install CCTV cameras and burglar-proof your home, you will be at peace knowing your belongings are safe and secure in a storage unit.
Using a storage space while relocating has various advantages and can help reduce the stress of moving to a new place. A storage unit may provide a safe solution for all your needs, from temporary storage while looking for a new home to simple decluttering and organization. You can make your relocation easier while ensuring that your belongings are safeguarded by picking a reliable storage facility and choosing the size and amenities of the unit that best suit your needs. The bottom line is that renting a storage unit can be a wise choice that, over time, will save you time, money, and frustration.